Everything here is ICELANDIC

Posted by Anne , Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:20 PM


(first view of Iceland from Icelandair)

So I'm now totally and officially in Iceland and I'd have to say it's pretty fantastic. What's interesting is the whole place smells kind of like the faire because there's pretty much a constant promenade of wild icelandic horses moseying about, it also smells strongly of sulfur because of the everpresent geothermal water sources that pop up everywhere.

I suppose I should begin with how the day started,etc and give the leading up to "Officially Considered to be in Iceland". I left friday morning probably around 7:45 and I was pretty much spazzing that I was going to be late and that I wouldn't make the plan and then i'd never go to Iceland and then the world would end and it would be a disaster. Obviously that didn't happen. I got there with plenty of time to spare with a twinge of apprehension realizing that i'm going to be stuck with ten other girls that I barely know their names, let alone their personalities. Luck of the draw I later learned that these girls are great and hilarious and soooooo much fun. Anyways, back to the diatribe, in case some of you didn't know, I've never been on a plane and i've never been out of the country. So realistically I was nervous but not in the i'm-going-to-barf kind of way but more the I-have-no-idea-what-to-expect kind of way.

Anyways, we get everything straight and head through security (or for some suh-curr-ity) and proceeded to drop my college ring into my bag and go about my business relatively unscathed. However, things were to change as when I finally got seated near my boarding section I realized that my ring was no where to be found and if I didn't find it it'd be my head and around $600 dollars (which I did not have). I start mildly panicking but went back with Reagan (another girl on the trip) to check security and see if maybe i'd missed it or what have you. After rummaging through some bins they come up with nothing and hand me a note with the number for lost and found. I had a sinking feeling but...I had a warranty on the ring so if something really went wrong, I could fix it...kind of. Luck changed once again as about an hour before boarding my name was called over the intercom for me to go to security (I was kind of nervous because previously they had called an Anne Road so I didn't know if they were confused,etc) regardless a trip back to the security section proved fortuitous as I got my beloved onyx back, safe and sound on my hand. A surprisingly good omen for the trip seeing as I lost something and then found it again.



We boarded the plane and I know that it wasn't a long flight and that there wouldn't be a huge amount of people but the small size of the plane really took me off guard. There was one row of two person seats and another of one person seats. In other words, it was a dinky plane. I was sitting next to Julia Sasser who has now been renamed Julbecca, seeing as it is her cage fighting name. Ah, the cage fighting. When we arrived at the Boston airport from Raleigh an airport guard asked us if we were "football,soccer,baseball?" (as if a group of girls would be football?) to which we replied that yes we were a team...called the Meredith Maulers. and from there the idea of cage-fighters sprung from Dr.Novak's noggin. Julia 2 was renamed Gunter, the Iron Grip. Other's names have yet to be determined. Regardless, we took a bus over to the international terminal and lo-and-behold THE COOLEST AIRPORT EVER. (at the time)


Logan airport is one of the nicest looking airports i've been in, obviously that hasn't been a lot, buuuut it was so streamline and lovely. We arrived there around 1:30-2:00 and had to wait until about 5:00 before we were even allowed to enter the main part of the airport. We sat around and talked and B and I played Bananagrams and Rummy (good times) and soon enough it was 5:00 and we were being ushered through to the next security point (where I DID NOT take off my ring). That lead to another 3-4 hours of waiting around til our plane for Iceland boarded at 9:30 pm. Me and a couple girls got chinese and went into the airport Border's to find some reading material for the flight. I got Sgt. Malarky's novel/biography of his point of view during WWII (which so far has been a worthwhile purchase) and pretty much waited out the lulling crowds until it was time to board.


If Logan airport is the coolest airport then Icelandair is the coolest plane ever. It was suuuuper big (compared to the dink plane) and had cool headrests that told you Icelandic phrases,etc. Only down side is that while everyone around me had monitors on the back of their seats...I had one, that was defected and no matter how many times it was reset it proceeded to do nothing. So my idle dreams of spending the next 4.75 hours watching a film were nixed and so sleep was the only other option. Cramped and crooked I slept on and off four the next couple hours until I noticed it starting to get light outside the window again which meant us getting to Iceland was closer than ever. Watching through the window for any glimpse of Icelandic land was exciting and I kept mistaking ocean sand bars for potential shores.



Regardless, we made it to the airport safe and sound and checked through with little to no difficulty. Btw, Iceland's airport in Reykajvik is baaaaalllaaaaaa and super modern with a lot of eco-friendly touches and good looking folks abound. We sat down at a cafeteria near by and went in groups to get and/or exchange money for kronur. With the money we got, nearly everyone got skyr (pronounced skee-er) which is suuuper creamy and delicious yogurt/type stuff. I got mango and raspberry and it was super taaasty. When then left after breakfast and go in our totally awesome Mercedes Benz driving van, which had several Icelandic Caddies coming over to hypothesize whether or not we could fit all our luggage in and wonder about the going rate of such a vehicle. Everything got squished in and we set out (after getting some air) to Skalholt, our destination and home of the Church of Iceland. We got a little lost along the way and found out that Icelanders LOVE ROUNDABOUTS, pretty much every five minutes there was another roundabout to somewhere. During this time Michelle also acquired a new ghetto name which is Zuh-shell, shortened to Zizi. Great fun was had by all even though on the way to skalholt pretty much all of us passed out with our mouths open :D sexy tiiiiiimes.


In the community center by the Church we had lunch (this was to be where we take most of our meals) which was a DELICIOUS califlower soup that was hardy and good, with a side salad of local mixed greens. I was super stoked because if this was a signifier as to what was to come nutritionally I WAS READY. After lunch we headed to the dormitory/hostel to choose rooms and unpack a bit before heading out on a hike around the area. Our rooms are kinda small for two but a good size for one and we all get one room to ourselves so everyone has plenty of space. My room has a blue theme and a drawing/etching of early settlers coming to Iceland.

After everyone had pretty much stowed away their things for the evening and gotten changed, we headed out to experience the Icelandic horses and hopefully get pretty close! which we diiiiiiiiiiid!!! There was one stallion in the whole bunch and about 5 pregnant mares who were fat with babies and their bodies were so swollen with their tiny legs = SO CUTE. Example below.


Following the horses we went down to some of the geothermal springs where we proceeded to stand in boiling water and be pleasantly heated through our waterproof shoes and really get the full smell of sulfur straight up our noses. example of steaming water below.



After the hike we headed back for a bit of down-time before heading back over to the community center for dinner (pictures will come later) which consisted of delicious lasagna, mushroom pasta, a mixed green salad and fresh bread (baked that day!!!). Though I was pretty stuffed I managed to also eat the desert which was homemade spice cake with a caramel glaze (yes katie, caramel.) and whipped cream which was PRETTY TASTY. Also forgot to mention that we had a 'tea' which consisted of doddlehoppers(not their real name) which are very similar to fresh nonglazed donuts and sweet raisin bread and some kind of cracker assortment with a vegetable/cheese spread. I'm pretty happy with the knowledge that whatever food i'm eating is going to be sweated off with the various adventures that the Doctors have planned for us.

On the way out from dinner we stopped by the church which we will be attending Sunday morning and were greeted by two Icelandic shepherds which are like... a cross between a chow and a Pomeranian. They're super fiesty and LOVED herding us and they were so cute! ( i'll have to upload their photos later also)

all in all it was a very successful first day that seemed incredibly long. Over the course of the day I took 455 photographs which I have no widdled down and will eventually put on facebook for further viewing.

anyways, i'll update tomorrow with whatever shenanigans we're up to.
thanks for reading!
-Anne.


2 Response to "Everything here is ICELANDIC"

Holly Renee Says:

ANNEEEEE!!! This post is so joyous! I cracked up because I can just imagine you narrating your day. Sounds like you're having a blast so far, and I hope you continue to have many more fun times in Iceland.

I'm getting kind of nervous about my own trip in July... eek!

erin Says:

loved every word.

keep it coming darling.

Post a Comment